2008-11-30

Safe, Legal and... Fun?

So, Frida Hyvönen's new album Silence is Wild, which I mentioned earlier this week, is a solidly mediocre album.

Actually, that's being generous: it's a pretty crap album. But there is one track I really, really like-- a jaunty, waggish sort of number called "December." It's a surprisingly whimsical song, considering that it's about abortion.

"December" by Frida Hyvönen.

But then, when I thought about it, I realized that there are some really catchy songs about unwanted pregnancies and/or abortion; "Third Planet" by Modest Mouse, "Brick" by Ben Folds Five, "The Freshman" by The Verve Pipe... "Miracle" by Whitney Houston. "Papa Don't Preach" by Madonna. "Oasis" by Amanda Palmer (who's new album would on my Best of 2008 list, were I to make such a list.)

And movies! Unwanted pregnancies are the stuff of great comedies! Juno! Knocked Up! That episode of It's Always Sunny! Beyond the Valley of the Dolls! (Although, to be fair, that last one isn't really about the abortion, it just has an abortion in it. And I don't think it's supposed to be a comedy.) Um... Yeah.

I don't remember where I was going with this. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I didn't realize abortion, on top of being convenient, was so much fun.

(As it turns out, you can actually find t-shirts that say just that.)

3 comments:

Ryan said...

I thought abortion was the only form of birth control...

Ben said...

Abortion as birth control = no lost pleasure

Dallas said...

I was thinking about it today at work, and I think abortion really is the only form of "birth" control; everything else is "conception" control...