2009-01-19

One Little Monkey Jumping on The Bed...


I am now the last one standing. Rather, I am the sole contributor to this blog who still resides in fair MSLA. True, I still have some wonderful friends here, but it is quite odd to have an entire group of very close friends leave. I'll provide all of you with a brief update:

1. I got a new apartment. More accurately, I have a verbal agreement with a private landlord that I may live in one of his apartments starting some time this week. It is at 3rd and Hazel, across the street from Ben's old place, in the same building that Travis Levy lives in, and across the alley from Mike and Chris. I didn't have to sign anything, he doesn't really care when I pay him, and he didn't even know my full name until after he agreed to rent me the apartment, which I could easily have lied about and he would be none the wiser. Oh, and it has a washer and dryer.

2. I am getting a dog this week. His name is Benny, I'm adopting him from The Pussy Shop. He's one year old, a little needy, a little anxious, but he's sweet as hell. He is a pit bull, chocolate lab cross which is a little nerve racking because Montana is currently deciding whether it will impose a ban on pit bulls and pit bull crosses. Thankfully, my veterinarian has already agreed to change his papers so that he's listed simply as a lab cross.


3. I recently went on a date with a female coworker of mine. The date was uneventful as I was tired as hell, but I have since come to find out that she is basically crazy. She has taken to eating my food at work and sitting on my lap when I'm at my desk. Much to my jubilation, my boss told me on Friday that she was going to be fired. Alas, I arrived at work this morning and found that the deed had not been done. Carly and Christina aptly deemed her "Swiss Miss", as she is a dual citizen of the US and Switzerland.

And here I might rant a bit:

I've been met with a great deal of negativity about MSLA lately, which is understandable, but I must say, being virtually alone in this town makes me appreciate it quite a bit more. When you're able to exist in near anonymity, it really isn't a bad place, and it makes you appreciate more the times when you do run in to people. This town is not corrupt, it is really quite beautiful, but we somehow seem to eat ourselves alive here. It is easy to become complacent here, to fall into a rut, to take the easiest path, but that does not speak to the character of this town, but to the character of ourselves. So if you've left this town, try to remember the positive aspects instead of obsessing over the negative, because I'm tired of hearing it, Eric. (Some might insert an emoticon here.)

Love you kids.

9 comments:

Eric said...

Missoula sucks, enough said.

Isoflavanoids said...

i hear you ryan. this is ira by the way...found yer guyz' blog randomly and found myself checking it here and there. but yeah, missoula's got its downsides and it surely ain't portland/seattle/san francisco, etc., but it really isn't that bad (i guess i'm biased because i'm a native though).
after living just over a year in fresno, california (aka an insanely ugly sprawling shithole filled with lots of conservatives and conservative christians), i've certainly come to appreciate msla much much more.
there's something to be said about a college town that's extremely liberal in character and has a semi-consistent underground music scene...i certainly don't mind coming back, especially after enduring a place like fresno...just my 2 centz.

Ryan said...

Enough said is exactly my point.

Aa said...

i for one am super happy to see ira poking around! yo ira!

and about this: glad to hear that someone has decided to grow up and realized that any problems they may have with their life cannot be blamed on a small college town.

it is true that msla can tempt people to act upon some very base-level and trite temptations/lifestyles, but hey: that's just our own character flaws that we fail to run through the 'stop being such a fatalist idiot' filter.

further, living in some places can really make you miss msla, and i for one will be enjoying a week there this coming summer.

¡Tony! said...

I can't say I miss msla but a word of advice, don't ever move to dc or va. I'll be writing more on the issue when I leave next month. Let's just say there's a reason why once upon a time that the "all ages show" was such a crucial part of the music scene...

chaz alcatraz said...

it sounds like the united-swiss cross wants you to adopt her too? (the whole sitting on your lap/eating your food scenario). Maybe you can ask your vet to tweak her papers so you can get her deported.

Aa said...

Tony, what exactly is the deal? Where are you going? Come to NY or Boston.

Eric said...

Let me say this: discrepancies aside; I don't miss Missoula, largely because my friends are all gone. Secondly, I don't feel like the motivation or drive for me is there. Thirdly, the music scene there is dying led largely by the Badlander/Palace/Rose complex, the lack of solid promotion and more importantly turnout. Therefore, I am on to greener pastures. And yes Ryan for me, Missoula sucks.

O-Face said...

Any of the reasons why I left Missoula could be the reason why other people want to be there. I miss certain things about it, but am too distracted by the new city to get too in depth. Things change, people change. But look at all of us! We fucking rule, whether we've moved or not.

p.s. Eric needs to get the sand out of his fachina.