2008-12-02

Not a wildly important reason to post, but...

I read something today that thoroughly summed up my thoughts on Girl Talk much better than I had summed them up myself. From the A/V Club's Popless feature:
"Consider Girl Talk's Feed The Animals, an energetic party record assembled by Gregg Gillis with his usual mash-up flair. I thoroughly enjoyed Girl Talk's Night Ripper, and on first pass through Feed The Animals, I thought Gillis had come up with another winner. Then, upon listening more closely, frustration set in. Gillis has a knack for combining hip-hop, alt-rock and kitsch-pop in such a way that it all meshes seamlessly, but though his albums are broken up into individual tracks, those tracks don't generally display much internal cohesion. They flow out of what comes before and into what comes next, as Gillis adds and drops samples with no clear pattern or purpose, beyond making listeners smile and say, 'Hey, I recognize that!'"
Also, apparently The Rosebuds put out another record this year. I should go listen to that. Night Of The Furies was pretty outstanding. How did this go so under my radar?

6 comments:

Dallas said...

"Life Like" slipped under your radar because it's wildly blah.

But then, you liked "Donkey," so... maybe you'd like it.

Ben said...

I now have a copy on my computer, but haven't listened to it yet. The Rosebuds have always been a band that I want to like a little more than I actually do... with the exception of ...Furies, which I do think was pretty severely underrated. I still want to give Life Like a chance. Punk.

O-Face said...

Can I just say how much Donkey fell far short of any expectations I might have had for it? Maybe my attention span is too short but anything that is wildly blah just gets straight up eliminated from my life.

Dallas said...

I'm with you, Face. I just don't have time for wildly blah. I'm very busy and important.

Dallas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dallas said...

And Ben: Stop calling me punk.