2008-12-25

Bonus Round


Originally this was going to be split up into two posts: Runners Up, and Bonus Round, but it makes more sense to throw it all together into something more cohesive.

Two albums that should have been in my Top 10:
Fuck Buttons - Street Horrrsing
I got a late jump on listening to this album, and it was mostly at Eric's insistence that I even gave it a chance. At first, I was not terribly impressed. To the impatient ear there is nothing special about this album. However, I kept listening, over and over, and it grew on me. Quickly. What they do, they do well. If you've given the album a listen and weren't sold, I encourage you to give it a couple more chances. It's worth it.
No Kids - Come Into My House
Dallas is the only other person I've talked to who has listened to this. Sometimes I feel a little bit crazy for liking this album as much as I do. For some reason I can't help but feel like I shouldn't. The Canadian trio have a sound that meshes all things good from Sufjan Stevens, Hot Chip, and Flight of The Concords, but still somehow reminds me of cheesy soft rock. But it's so good. Plus they've got a pretty awesome name.

Most overrated album of the year:
Deerhunter - Microcastle
Seriously, you guys? This album is terrible. Track four, titled "Little Kids" actually caused me to have a panic attack. Not only because the music was so terrible, but because I couldn't help but imagine that I would somehow find myself trapped listening to that song for all of eternity surround by children. I gave this album a once over when I was writing my Top 10 and it was all I could do to get through it. If someone could point out the highlights of this album I might be able to find some understanding of the acclaim, but otherwise I'm lost.

Album released in 2007 that I didn't listen to until this year:
Justice - Cross
Yep. I said it. It's mostly because I'm an idiot, and a little bit because the original version of D.A.N.C.E. led me to believe they were going to be another flash in the pan. Fast forward a very short period of time and Justice has basically overshadowed original French electro duo Daft Punk. I don't need to say anything about the album. Feel free to punch me in the face.

Best half album:
Portugal. The Man - Censored Colors
Tracks one through seven? Great. The rest of the album? Utter shite. But the first half is so solid. In the band's defense, there is a bit of a concept behind the album and the second half is meant to be entirely different from the first, but it only really succeeds in falling on its face. I highly recommend tracks three and four, "And I" and "Salt". I spent many a day in the back room of Ear Candy singing along to the first half of this album. In the band's defense, there is a bit of a concept behind the album so the two halves are supposed to be completely different, except the second half just sucks.

(FUCK BLOGSPOT. Apparently, at this point in my entry blogspot stopped saving my draft so the subsequent two thirds of my entry disappeared when Safari decided it didn't want to work anymore either. I'm not excited about this.)

Best throwback album of '08:
Blink 182 - Enema of The State
This album easily marks the pinnacle of Blink 182's musical repertoire. I bought this album when I was 15 and listened to it endlessly, fell asleep to it every night. And nearly ten years later I still enjoy it immensely. Somehow, every ridiculous lyric came back to me immediately and the inevitable nostalgia for simpler times made me appreciate where I am today.

Most played track of '08:
Grizzly Bear - Graceland (Paul Simon cover)
This song slays me. It got me through many a long day, and I can clearly recall multiple several day stints when this was the only track I listened to. This selection is clearly based 100% on an emotional attachment to a song, so I'm going to stop being emo... now.

Best Christmas song:
Sufjan Stevens - Do You See What I See?
Sufjan's synth laden eighth installment of his holiday series "Songs for Christmas Vol. VIII: Astral Inter Planet Space Captain Christmas Infinity Voyage" is a clear departure from his earlier holiday collections. A little over the top at times, but a welcome change nonetheless. His take on "Do You See What I See?", with Sufjan's lamenting vocals, synth robot backing, and stripped down instrumental track is easily the highlight of the album. I'm not a big fan of Christmas music, but this is good.

Sufjan Stevens - Do You See What I See?

Honorable Mention:
Alvin & The Chipmunks - A Very B.More Christmas
The original of this track is ridiculous and incredibly annoying. The remix is still ridiculous but somehow works really well. Credit has to go to Mike for introducing me to it. So good I had to dance to it twice the first time I heard it at Dead Hipster Headquarters.

Biggest loser of '08:
Kanye West
He lost to everyone this year. He lost to Stephen Colbert. He lost to Gorilla vs. Bear. He lost to Sarah Palin (which was a close race, in his defense). He lost to himself circa two years ago. He lost his integrity. He lost his adult demographic. Literally. My thirteen year old sister is the only person I know who actually wants to listen to his music. Except for that one girl I met the other night who everyone at the table immediately shunned. You're done Kanye. At this point you're going to have to settle for making tracks with that other washed up, has-been... what's her name... Madonna.

Best slow jam:
Kid Cudi - The Prayer
Holy shit this track is good. And not just because it samples a great Band of Horses track. Or because of the lyrical sample of my childhood pre-bed prayer. While writing this I've been trying to listen to everything I'm writing about but I keep coming back to this track. It's just damn good.

Album I really hoped was going to be good, but knew wasn't going to be as good as I wanted:
Kings of Leon - Only by the Night
I loved KOL's first two albums. I've seen them twice. But their last two albums have been more disappointment than anything else. Each has a few good tracks and the rest just seems to be mainstream filler. I'm not impressed.

Album I can't bring myself to listen to even though I have a handful of people hounding me to:
The Killers - Day & Age
I actually just had to look up the name of the album. It's that bad. I used to love The Killers, you know, back when they released their first album and they were great. I couldn't bring myself to listen to "Sam's Town" more than a few times, and by the time their third release came out I'd already heard all of the B-sides on it years before. Needless to say, I don't have much hope. I know that eventually I'll break down and give it a listen, but don't hold your breath. I hadn't even listened to "In Rainbows" until Eric played it on the drive to Billings, and I actually like Radiohead. I've had it since it came out, I just have this weird listening block with certain albums.

1 comment:

tinygrooves said...

all i can say is that if you "got" the fuck buttons album, which i also love, how can you not even remotely like deerhunter's new double disc?