2008-08-08

Early Onset Dementia.

This house is haunted. Or perhaps it's just sitting atop a psychic hotspot, or maybe Missoula is some sort of inter-dimensional portal, or a Hellmouth. (Or maybe I've just been watching too much "Angel.")

Regardless, this house has taken to fucking with its residents.

I present Jared's complete loss of sanity as "Exhibit A." Beyond that, Ryan's been hearing voices and seeing imaginary cats. And I keep waking up vertiginous, severely disoriented.

On the 4th of July, for instance, I woke up on the couch with the impression that I'd been locked in the condemned house down the street. But I did know I was in Missoula. And I knew my name.

Last night, though, I woke up struggling to hang on to the bed which kept trying to tip me off, while somehow feeling as if I had been buried alive, and baffled as to where and who I was. After remembering my name, I spent a couple of minutes trying to figure out what country or state I was in ("My bed is full sand, so I must be somewhere near a beach... Am I in Australia? Maybe I'm back in Texas?"), which led me to try and figure out what year it was ("How old am I? If I'm in Australia, I'm 12, so it's... 1996? 1997?"), the time of day, etc. Finally, I decided I was in Missoula, but where in Missoula I might be was still pretty hazy...

Eventually, I cleared up the mess that was my head. But I've been stumbling through the day feeling as if I've totally lost my bearings.

I don't like it.

I wonder if this is what Alzheimer's or senility feels like?

6 comments:

tinygrooves said...

this valley was an ancient battleground, as i understand it. the fallen warriors are most definitely around here still trying to fuck with people. and i say, if you can be sane and stable in missoula, you can live anywhere else successfully.......

Ryan said...

well... this house also has the benefit (?) of having once been condemned. and in my own defense, i haven't hallucinated cats (or spiders) in quite some time. and the hearing of voices only happens when i'm trying to go to sleep. don't think i'm discounting dallas' theory (except for the whole "i don't believe in paranormal bullshit" thing...) there is definitely something fucked up about this house.

Dallas said...

I hallucinated spiders one time, totally sober but mildly sleep-deprived. And Carly was wearing that horrible spider sweatshirt, which only made want to claw at her... And my skin, where they had taken up residency.

God. Any of you people leaving have room for me in your suitcase?

Ryan said...

RE: Dallas...

um... so... you're describing symptoms of stimulant psychosis. in my defense, i've been hallucinating spiders and cats since i took hallucinogens for the first time.

Dallas said...

I've had an astigmatism since the first time I did (working) hallucinogens.

I find it interesting that you see cats. I always saw raccoons.

Ben said...

If there's an outside presence, it's not demEntia, it's demOntia!

... please, just kill me now.