2008-08-15

can't we elect a president based on good musical taste?

Blender took the time to ask both presidential candidates the real issue at stake, what music ought we vote to hear blaring on the White House lawn.......

Below are Obama and McCain's answers (with a bit of commentary).


John McCain's Top Ten

1. 'Dancing Queen' ABBA   

the thought of his dancing to ABBA is disgusting...

2. 'Blue Bayou' Roy Orbison

ok well he may not be completely out of touch, but more like uncle you never let touch the stereo...

3. 'Take a Chance On Me' ABBA

is he not creative? come on, ABBA twice in the top 10? this is either showing senility or complete delusion.  this ought to prove he is not fit for any political office, even the one he currently holds.

4. 'If We Make It Through December' Merle Haggard

my thoughts exactly.  

5. 'As Time Goes By' Dooley Wilson

dooley wilson was born in 1886.  need i say more about how out of touch McCain is?

6. 'Good Vibrations' The Beach Boys

The only song John McCain and I can agree on.  I guess that renders the mixtape I was making him kind of like a Beach Boys greatest hits album.

7. 'What A Wonderful World' Louis Armstrong

Fucking for real.  Everyone loves this song.  So ubiquitous that I can't understand anyone having any feeling about this song what so ever.  Unless its Joey Ramone's version.  Then it makes me cry. 

8. 'I've Got You Under My Skin' Frank Sinatra

I think he imagines everyone in the US singing this song to him when he wins the election.  Although that seems too dark to even think about.

9. 'Sweet Caroline' Neil Diamond

I hate Neil Diamond with a passion, so I cannot even comment on his number 9 pick.

10. 'Smoke Gets In Your Eyes' The Platters

I think he might of stopped listening to music in the mid-60s. Someone should really ask him a hard hitting question like that.

Barack Obama's Top Ten

1. 'Ready or Not' Fugees

ok, so this kind of reminds me of an ex-girlfriend.  but she was a rad ex-friend and went to art school in NYC.  so fine with me. positive memories.

2. 'What's Going On' Marvin Gaye

Classic track.  I mean music critics generally freaks out over his work.  So maybe a bit of a safe choice, but at least Obama can acknowledge good music when he hears it.

3. 'I'm On Fire' Bruce Springsteen

Blue Collar Music.  I sense that Obama may have rigged this list as a subtle political campaign to reach out to voters he needs to win the election.  Though nobody can fuck with the Boss, so maybe not.

4. 'Gimme Shelter' Rolling Stones

So he's not a Beatles guy, he's a Stones fan.  That was the first question I would ask him, if I were to interview him for our blog.

5. 'Sinnerman' Nina Simone

This might suggest some hidden facet of his past.  But he already admitted to doing cocaine in high school.  Maybe he wants people to know he's atoned for his past mistakes.  Maybe some of my friends out to listen to this track.

6. 'Touch the Sky' Kanye West

Kayne plays the Inauguration ceremony.  I like the sound of that.

7. 'You'd Be So Easy to Love' Frank Sinatra

Why is Frank Sinatra rated higher than Aretha Franklin?  Silliness.  At least Marvin Gaye beat him out in the top 10.  But why is it necessary to keep giving Frank SInatra such a prominent place in our culture? I'd as soon be done with the guy.

8. 'Think' Aretha Franklin

Finally a presidential candidate with soul.  Why have we waited so long?

9. 'City of Blinding Lights' U2

Bono has better politics than music, so this choice is confusing to me.  But if him and Obama are on the same side, they might finally solve some of the world's biggest problems, like poverty and hunger.

10. 'Yes We Can' Will.i.am

The Black Eyed Peas playing a set on the White House lawn would be awesome as well.  

Obama is keeping up with music even though he's a busy man.  He knows hip hop, older standards, soul, new wave and probably about your band.  I know that sounds crazy, but Obama wants to keep up with whats going down all around the world, and in all areas. He's keeping up on the war in Georgia while he's reading Pitchfork.  I mean who wouldn't vote for this guy.

Unless of course you like ABBA.


1 comment:

Ben said...

I must say, I am indeed quite impressed with Barack's mixtape. Very, very cool.