2009-04-25

Insatiable


As of late, it seems, I haven't been able to listen to enough music. I was on a bit of a drought for awhile, but now I find myself needing to listen to something, everything. And I've had just about enough of new music. Nothing really seems to be hitting the spot, except the "Dark Was The Night" compilation. I think I've mentioned this before, but there is some amazing stuff on this two disc comp. Most recently, I've been listening to Yeasayer's "Tightrope" on repeat. Give it a listen here. The rest of the comp can be found here.

The other song that has been on heavy rotation lately is "Bridges and Balloons" by Joanna Newsom. I've never been a huge Newsom fan, but I find myself needing desperately to listen to this song. (Listen here.) A large factor of this could be that it is featured in Dedication, a movie that I watch at least five times a week. If you torrent, please, please download this movie. It was only released in theaters so you're really not hurting anyone by downloading it. I know there are a few torrents available here, but I can't remember which one I used. Aside from being Justin Theroux's directorial debut, it has an awesome soundtrack that is full of Deerhoof.

3 comments:

Aa said...

mininova.org had it. nice call ryan.

Ryan said...

Did you watch it? Let me know what you think.

Aa said...

i feel not a bit sheepish about missing this one.

henry's neurotic ticks really resonated with me. the constant free associative and dissociative inner monologue skirting between far-flung hope and utter self-annihilation was a bit too familiar. also, i have the same nervous habit of arranging the diner accompaniments (napkins and salt/pepper shakers), that was eerie. the dead father bit works well with me too.

but mostly, the expose of how we betray our best intentions through our ability to out-think happiness...i know that i'm certified in this area. some of us have just enough imagination to hang ourselves with. for me, i've always thought that if i could imagine the worst case scenario at all times i would either a) somehow ward off the evil simply by being one step ahead, or b) at least prepare myself for the worst.

perhaps it's knowing that most of us are beyond 'chardonnay fucked-up' and have some real complexity within. and when you spend a good deal of time wrestling with ghosts (real or imagined) you tend to think that this conflict is somehow radiated for all to see. it's hard to receive love/opportunity when this is all you can see in the mirror.

but maybe you meant, like, how did i like the acting/cinematography/and so forth. you have to know that i am all over justin theroux. amy sedaris was fucking unstoppable as well. her pathology was so true to form, but somehow walked the less bloody side of the razor's edge between effective and cliche. and everyone knows how i feel about deerhoof - feelings that feel like how feeling felt before the feelings were all felt up with so much feeling.

and such.