2009-03-10

My Words Don't Work



The Yeah Yeah Yeahs' new album It's Blitz! dropped today, and though I've had it for a week or so, I'm still trying to form an opinion about it. It's being lauded by some as their "most accessible" album, which to me sounds like a nice way of saying it's shite. And while it most likely is their most accessible, I'm not sure that phrase really describes the album. My favorite review thus far can be read here.

The album listens a bit like a Jock Jams album, which is to say it sounds like it was made in the 90s. Don't get me wrong, there is definitely a soft spot in my heart for JJs, but it's not what I expected from these three. The strengths of the album are definitely the slower tracks, namely "Skeleton" and "Little Shadow". I find, however, that I can't listen to the album just once. The first time through I cringe a little, but after that I find that, for what it is, it's enjoyable. Groundbreaking? No. Easy, fun even? Yeah.

For those of you who haven't heard it, I've been trying to upload it for three days now, but divshare apparently hates me. I'll keep trying.

4 comments:

tinygrooves said...

yeah i decided it won't be purged from my itunes, but my love for karen o is gone. i was lucky to see them four or so years again when they were still writing music i loved.

sometimes you and yr fav bands just have to part ways. it's how it goes.

i will say that their new albums has a couple of tracks that will make future mixtapes. but it's not making any best of lists.......

tinygrooves said...

postscript.

i hate that you cannot edit yr disfunctional ly spelled comments.

postpostscript.

i can upload the album if people want.

Ryan said...

Despite not being a huge fan of the new album I'm still very excited to see them at Sasquatch. And I agree with the whole inability to edit comments, it's pretty r-tarded.

O-Face said...

i'd like to give it a listen if any of y'all would like to upload it.