2009-03-27

Also Listened to This Week (Or 'La La La Part II'):

My Maudlin Career by Camera Obscura

This album reminds me of Billy Joel. Which is not to say that it sounds like Billy Joel--though, like The Stranger or Glass Houses, MMC is predominately melancholy/bittersweet in tone, broken up by brief intervals of serious, well-polished pop. No, what I mean is: someday, we're all going to be old. Like, real old. Older than the oldest contributers to URFCKD are now. And when that happens, the Adult Contemporary stations on the radio (or whatever music-playing device we'll be tuning in to in the future) will be targeting us (instead of our parents). And MMC is exactly the kind of album that would top Billboard's 'Hot Adult Contemporary' charts (when that happens).

Does that make sense? I hope it does.

Now, I'm not complaining about the fact that MMC is the easy listening of the future. Quite the opposite: I like Billy Joel (note: I'm saying "like" instead of "love" because I want to seem hipper than I actually am). I tend to like accessible albums, and this is that.

Give it a listen here.


Brain Cycles by Radio Moscow

I would argue that this album should be played whilst yer sipping 3 fingers of bourbon (straight) and smoking. I don't care what you're smoking, though smoking crack probably wouldn't jibe with this album's energy (that's your call, though.) You should probably also be wearing something made of suede.

This is as much of a review as I'm willing to write. Interpret it as you will.

Listen here.


SUPER AWESOME BONUS!


(I didn't think anyone would actually want to d/l an entire Billy Joel album (and secretly, I'm hoping you all already have his complete discography, because I would love you more if you did). If I've misjudged you, and you would like to see a couple of 'listen' links for The Entertainer, let me know and I'll fix it.)

2 comments:

tinygrooves said...

i already feel like adult contemporary music is aiming for me. example: fleet foxes, shins. though both those groups are good, they are getting play in starbucks and other such large chain stores everywhere. at least our soft rock stations will be better than our parents shit music.....example: any bad music from the 80s.......

Dallas said...

Ha. "Adult Contemporary for Semi-Retired Hipsters."

That so should have been the description for my show, way back when. Because it would've been totally accurate.