2009-03-26

La La La.

I've blogged about this before, but 2009 hasn't really been 'the year of music acquisition' for this one over here (aka 'me'). I've been listening, more or less exclusively, to David Bowie, Passion Pit, and The Kinks--mostly because that's about all I can stand these days. But I've been baby-sitting my sister for the past week, and the kid is involved in like, every extra-curricular activity there is, so I've spent a lot of time in cars. Cars that aren't my shitty van. Cars that actually have stereo systems. Which means, I've spent the past week listening to a combination of the radio and whatever my sister has on her iPod.
Which means, I've actually been listening to music. Unfortunately, my sister and I have very dissimilar taste in music; our common interests are few, as evidenced in this here Venn Diagram:

(Candidly speaking: I love the All American Rejects. Shut the fuck up and die if you have a problem with that.)

Anyway. Because I've had just about as much Top 40 radio as I can handle (and because this week's reading isn't really something that requires a lot of attention (and because I needed to find some noise to get Taylor Swift out of my head)), I've actually started looking for new music. Here's what I've listened to thus far:

Coyote by El Goodo

Coyote seems like a good transition from The Kinks to The Beach Boys (the latter of which I will start listening to, on repeat, as soon as it warms up a little.) Actually, I'm pretty in love with this album.


Click here to... um... 'listen.'




Outside Love by Pink Mountaintops

I'm still deciding if I like this one or not. But when I put it on the same playlist as Coyote and Fuckbooks and hit "Shuffle", it all goes together pretty nicely.

Click here to 'listen.'




The Floodlight Collective by Lotus Plaza

Moue. (Or "Meh", if you prefer.)

Click here to 'listen.'





Fuckbooks by Condo Fucks

Fuckity fuckity I can say "fuck" fucklevenity fucking times fuck! (That was a joke. I like the word "fuck," and don't hate on people who use it gratuitously.) I'm marginally aware of, and kind of remember liking Yo La Tengo, and I tend to like cover albums, so you'd think I'd enjoy this a lot more... As is, I like it, but overall, I'm mostly indifferent. I think it could grow on me, though.


Click here to 'listen.'


So. There're other albums I've... 'found' online this week, but these are the four I've actually listened to. Also, stumbled across this today; thought some of you might find it worth a listen:

"Illinoize is a free remix tape put together by Montreal-based producer Tor, sampling songs from multi-instrumentalist and indie hero, Sufjan Stevens. racks are sampled from his 2005 LP Illinoise, as well as 3 of his other albums, 'A Sun Came', 'Seven Swans' and 'Songs for Christmas', blending Sufjan Steven's acoustic guitar, piano and horns with MC's Aesop Rock, Big Daddy Kane, Gift of Gab (Blackalicious), C.L. Smooth, Outkast, Brother Ali, and Grand Puba."

Download it here.


That's it. That's all I had to say.

1 comment:

Aa said...

Noted. I think we can all come to an agreement on how to proceed. Thanks D.