2009-02-28

California, Here We Come


Not actually. I'm quoting Phantom Planet.

Fun fact: I nearly moved to Laguna Beach on a whim a few years ago. This was before MTV had a vested interest in the town. I was in California with my mother and we drove down to Laguna for lunch on our last day. We ate at this hole-in-the-wall sandwich place on the beach and I kind of fell in love with the place. It just so happened that the restaurant was hiring and there was an apartment for rent right above it. Needless to say, after much deliberation, and my mother offering to leave me there and send my things to me, I decided against staying. And we missed our flight. Though I kind of wish I had stayed. It would have made a better story.

Anyway, I'm here to extol the virtues of The O.C. (not the real O.C., but the teen dramedy that ran for three seasons [it actually ran for four, but I like to pretend the fourth season didn't happen]). I've been re-watching the series (verging on ceaselessly) as of late, and I'd forgotten how good it is. The writing is sharp, and while it does get bogged down in a few tiresome plot lines, it's actually a very socially aware show. Thirteen from House plays a large guest role in season 2. Denny from Grey's Anatomy has a cameo. And, of course, it features "performances" from at-the-time popular bands. The show also played a large role in my music education. There was a time (high school) when I didn't know shit about music, and it was actually The O.C. that sparked my interest.

Having thrown myself into this teen angst marathon (I'm halfway through season 2) I can't help but compare The O.C. with Skins. And it made me curious as to how those of you who have watched both feel about them... Thoughts?

4 comments:

Ben said...

No, I think the comparison between to the two shows is just fine. I mean, Skins owes a lot to the O.C. especially in terms of style. And while the O.C. is a dumber show, it's not a dumb show -- if that makes sense. The writing was really sharp, and to a degree I think it actually handled its adult characters a bit more true to life than Skins does. Skins seems though to be a bit more stylized in general, and I think it has more to say than the O.C. ever did. I wish I could sum up my thoughts on it all better. But yeah... good stuff.

Dallas said...

It's been so long since I've watched the O.C., trying to compare the two would be like... um... well, it would be pretty pointless.

Are you just watching via surfthechannel?

Ryan said...

Ben: I agree with everything you said.

Dal: I watched the first season on Hulu, and I'm watching the second season on The WB's website.

tinygrooves said...

watching too many teen dramas makes me lose perspective...where are all the good twentysomething sitcoms?