2009-02-21

Blahscars (Or: I Watch Too Many Movies. [But: Don't Be Confused By the Format of This Title, This Post Was Not Written By Eric.]) and Other Stuff


Hello again. It's been awhile. Nice to see you.

So I changed the banner photo again. It is once again a selection from Hedi Slimane's photo diary. Quick question for everyone: would you prefer that there occasionally be a banner photo that actually had color in it? Otherwise I'm going to stay the course, though I would like to renew my resolve to change it more often...

Also, if you haven't noticed (though she hasn't posted yet) we have a new contributor. Amanda finally accepted our invitation. Welcome, etc... I'm excited you're here.

Okay, down to business. I've been watching a ton of movies lately, and seeing as how the Oscars are tomorrow, though I don't really care about them, I figured a little movie review bit would be timely. Yep.

Slumdog Millionaire
This movie was great. Well structured, good story, good pace, awesome closing scene. I don't know if it necessarily deserves to win Best Film.

Milk
Gus Van Sant is r-tardedly talented and he did a wonderful job on this film. You kids know me, I'm not enthused by almost anything gay, but this movie is amazing. I may have cried. It's got an awesome cast. This is my pick for Best Film.

Doubt
Holy shit this movie is intense, but very good. Meryl Streep vs. Philip Seymour Hoffman? How could you go wrong?

Man on Wire
This is a documentary about the French tight rope walker who walked between the Twin Towers in the seventies. It's really good. Honestly, the best documentary I've seen since "Joy Division". It deserves the Oscar.

Dedication
I've been waiting two years to see this movie. Justin Theroux's directorial debut that was released only in theaters. This is worth torrenting. The characters are some of the most believable I've seen in quite some time. And the dialog is incredible.

Rachel Getting Married
Good, but way too long. Not amazing. Watch it if you've got two hours to kill and you're not looking to be highly entertained.

Rock 'n Rolla
Definitely not Guy Richie's best work. It was good, but it didn't feel very original. Plot twists are pretty transparent.

Transporter 3
What do you expect? It's ridiculous and entertaining.

Death Race
More ridiculous, less entertaining.

Finally, I'd like to point out that Robert Downey Jr. was nominated for his role in "Tropic Thunder" which is fucking rad.

2 comments:

O-Face said...

I definetely shit the bed on which movies I chose to see this year:

My Bloody Valentine 3D
Valkyrie
Choke
Coraline (which was awesome)

Somehow I missed watching movies that might matter. But My Bloody Valentine was somehow strangely amazing.

Ryan said...

Oh yeah, I watched "Choke", too. It sucked my balls.