2008-10-08

Mixtape


MixwitMixwit make a mixtapeMixwit mixtapes

I stole the idea from Dallas, so I can't take credit, but she didn't post hers here (it's posted on her blog) so I thought I would. The playlist isn't new, exciting, or rife with hot new bands. Autumn tends to be a time that I fall back to what is comfortable.

The Playlist:
1. "Halfway Home" - TV on the Radio
I've been enjoying the new TVOTR album, quite a bit actually, but lately I've been having trouble getting past the first track. I can easily say it is the best on the album, which stirs the debate of whether or not its placement as the opening track is a wise one. I vote yes.
2. "Opium Typhoon" - Vampire Hands
I've been doing a lot of writing lately, or rather trying to do a lot of writing, and this track tends to be playing through most of my attempts. The energy that goes into their music is evident, and their shows are never dull. They win.
3. "Pterodactyls" - Fujiya & Miyagi
Great track from a trio of Brit gents pretending to be japanese. Their second album is the perfect followup to Transparent Things by not trying too hard to be completely different. They found their niche and it works.
4. "I'm Good, I'm Gone" - Lykke Li
A catchy pop song from an artist whose lyrics are simple without being trite.
5. "Come Into Our Room" - Clinic
I've been listening to their newest album a lot lately which has spurred me to go back and re-listen to their older works. I forget how much I like this band. This track is an old favorite.
6. "Caribou" - The Pixies
It's The Pixies, come on. I was listening to their greatest hits the other night, chain smoking, and nostalgic for times at the First Street house when often we needed little more than to listen to records, smoke, and sit in the company of friends. The UK Surf Mix of "Wave of Mutilation" has been in heavy rotation, as well.
7. "Eyes" - Rogue Wave
Oh what a year it has been. This song wraps it all up in a neat little package, with a simple arrangement.
8. "Heart of Chambers" - Beach House
I always tend to revisit a few bands when Autumn finally descends upon us, and this is definitely one of them.
9. "White Gymnasium" - Talkdemonic
This song has been and possibly will always be my Fall anthem. There is something so joyous and hopeful about it that never ceases to make me at least a little bit more optimistic.
10. "The Transfiguration" - Sufjan Stevens
Another artist who seems to get more play on my headphones during the transitional seasons. It's Sufjan, we all know it's good, but somehow his most outwardly religious album Seven Swans has always been this atheist's favorite. This song will, without fail, soon be replaced by "Sister Winter" from his Christmas collection.

1 comment:

Dallas said...

Way to one up me by adding track commentary, you douche nozzle.

At least the Mix-It skin I chose is prettier than yours.

Pblllt.

Add a link to my blog in the parentheses where you mention it, plz.