2008-09-13

An Army of Chuckys and Rubber Duckies.

Clicking through Time's Pictures of the Week for last week, I was horrified to find this:


Apparently, this week marked the 20th anniversary of the movie Child's Play. Which is all well and good, but I have to say: the only thing creepier than a movie about a possessed, evil doll is troop of Lilliputians masquerading as possessed, evil dolls. It's like fucking Point Break meets Goosebumps meets the corner of Hell and my nightmares (and, apparently, 49th St.) When this image finally loaded, I thought I was going to retch all over my keyboard.

Fortunately, I managed to keep my coffee down and continue browsing the images chosen to represent this week in history, and came across this:


Last Sunday was The Great British Duck Race! 165,000 rubber ducks floating down the Thames! In case y'all failed to notice, I have a penchant for the whimsical, and The Great British Duck Race is as whimsical as it gets. I can't help but think of Friendly Floatees (which have always fascinated and delighted me) and Pooh-sticks (which I'll never tire of).

With all of the 'grown up' life decisions and stress and financial responsibilities that I've been concentrating on, I needed the ducks. Maybe it's frivolous, but the idea of hundreds of thousands of rubber ducks wafting down the Thames suddenly made all the rest of the shit that's been weighing me down seem... irrelevant.

Life is absurd. But totally worth it.

I just needed a reminder.

No comments: